Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Lost Art...

“I can live for two months on one good compliment.” – Mark Twain

We live in a pretty ungrateful society. From your boss, to the parents you try to please, to the students you love, rarely will you ever get all the affirmation you deserve. Let me take a minute to tell you that while I challenge you to continue to cultivate the art of affirmation in your ministry, I want to encourage you. I apologize for all the times you’ve waited too long to receive a decent compliment. Cheesy though it may sound, I mean it when I say that I think you’re amazing, and you really are doing a great job.

The Bible says that we don’t even give a cup of cold water away in Jesus’ name without receiving our reward. When you don’t hear the praise of those around you, remember that Jesus is clapping; and all those secret sacrifices you’ve made will be rewarded.

I’ve always said that a hungry need is a dangerous need. One of the greatest needs I think our students have is the need for affirmation. It’s the reason many of them try to date a bunch of people or give their hearts away too soon and to the wrong person. Early on in youth ministry, I worked to make affirmation a part of my own spiritual DNA. Because it is something I so wanted, it had to be something I’ve worked to give away. As I look back, I would say much of the success we’ve had in youth ministry is because we’ve chosen to build an affirming environment among our staff, our leaders, and our students.

Consciously look for things to praise and be honest and genuine in your affirmation. You will see your students begin to respond, to gain confidence, and to see themselves in the amazing way that God sees them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Youth Ministry BlogsPowered By Ringsurf